[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] libvirt/QEMU/SEV interaction

Brijesh Singh brijesh.singh at amd.com
Wed Sep 27 13:39:24 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

On 09/26/2017 09:36 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>> 8. libvirt launches the guest with "-S"
>> 9. While creating the SEV guest qemu does the following
>>   i) create encryption context using GO's DH, session-info and guest policy
>>      (LAUNCH_START)
>>   ii) encrypts the guest bios (LAUNCH_UPDATE_DATA)
>>   iii) calls LAUNCH_MEASUREMENT to get the encrypted bios measurement
>
> This part troubles me. This seems to mean that the guest being launched
> must know what the measurement of the bios is going to be.  This means
> that the cloud provider can not update the bios without breaking guests.
> Also, while in practice you typically can run an old bios image on a new
> qemu instance, this is not really tested so would be very hard to
> support properly in QEMU.

The guest itself does not need to know the measurement of the bios --
the SEV launch flow empowers the GO to validate the bootstrap code (bios)
before GO can provide a confidential information to the guest. Please note
that the validating of the measurement flow is optional. GO can ask cloud
provider to ignore the measurement all together and boot the SEV guest.

The measurement flow can be useful when GO decides to provide a custom
bios and want to know that his bios is used for booting the guest. In this
case, since the guest owner knows the initial contents of the guest at boot,
he can request the measurement from the cloud provider and compare it with
what the guest owner expects.