[libvirt] [ovirt-devel] [kubevirt-dev] Re: [virt-tools-list] Project for profiles and defaults for libvirt domains

Yaniv Lavi ylavi at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 16:07:17 UTC 2018

Hi,
I'd like to go one step back and discuss why we should try to do this on
the high level.

For the last 5-10 years of KVM development, we are pragmatically providing
the Linux host level APIs via project specific host agents/integration code
(Nova agent, oVirt host agent, virt-manager).
In recent time we see new projects that have similar requirements (Cockpit,
different automation tool, KubeVirt), this means that all of the Linux virt
stack consumers are reinventing the wheel and using very different paths to
consume the partial solutions that are provided today.

The use of the Linux virt stack is well defined by the existing projects
scope and it makes a lot of sense to try to provide the common patterns via
the virt stack directly as a host level API that different client or
management consume.
The main goal is to improve the developer experience for virtualization
management applications with an API set that is useful to the entire set of
tools (OSP, oVirt, KubeVirt, Cockpit and so on).

The Linux virt developer community currently is not able to provide best
practices and optimizations from single node knowledge. This means that all
of that smarts is locked to the specific project integration in the good
case or not provided at all and the projects as a whole lose from that.
When testing the Linux virt stack itself and since each project has
different usage pattern, we lose the ability to test abilities on the lower
level making the entire stack less stable and complete for new features.

This also limits the different projects ability to contribute back to the
Linux stack based on their user and market experience for others in open
source to gain.

I understand this shift is technically challenging for existing projects,
but I do see value in doing this even for new implementation like Cockpit
and KubeVirt.
I also believe that the end result could be appealing enough to cause
project like OSP, virt-manager and oVirt to consider to reduce the existing
capabilities of their host side integrations/agents to shims on the host
level and reuse the common/better-tested pattern as clients that was
developed against the experience of the different projects.

I call us all to collaborate and try to converge on a solution that will
help all in the long term in the value you get from the common base.

Thanks,

YANIV LAVI

SENIOR TECHNICAL PRODUCT MANAGER

Red Hat Israel Ltd. <https://www.redhat.com/>

34 Jerusalem Road, Building A, 1st floor

Ra'anana, Israel 4350109

ylavi at redhat.com    T: +972-9-7692306/8272306     F: +972-9-7692223    IM: ylavi
 <https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
@redhatnews <https://twitter.com/redhatnews>   Red Hat