[libvirt] anyone ever seen virDomainCreateWithFlags() essentially hang?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Apr 5 18:00:44 UTC 2018

I'm investigating something weird with libvirt 1.2.17 and qemu 2.3.0.

I'm using the python bindings, and I seem to have a case where
libvirtmod.virDomainCreateWithFlags() hung rather than returned.  Then, about
15min later a subsequent call to libvirtmod.virDomainDestroy() from a different
eventlet within the same process seems to have "unblocked" the original creation
call, which raised an exception and an error code of
libvirt.VIR_ERR_INTERNAL_ERROR.  The virDomainDestroy() call came back with an
error of "Requested operation is not valid: domain is not running".

The corresponding qemu logs show the guest starting up and then a bit over 15min
later there is a "shutting down" log.  At shutdown time the libvirtd log shows
"qemuMonitorIORead:609 : Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer".

The parent function did two additional retries, and both the retries failed in
similar fashion.

In all three caess there seems to be a pattern of the qemu instance starting up
but virDomainCreateWithFlags() not returning, then a subsequent
virDomainDestroy() call for the same domain causing the
virDomainCreateWithFlags() call to get "unblocked" and return -1 leading to an
exception in the python code.

Any ideas what might cause this behaviour?

I haven't reproduced the "hanging" behaviour myself, I'm working entirely off of
logs from the affected system.

Thanks,
Chris