[libvirt] [qemu RFC v2] qapi: add "firmware.json"

David Gibson dgibson at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 01:03:01 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:09:30 +0200
Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/19/18 02:09, David Gibson wrote:
>  [...]
>
> Thank you -- I will replace SLOF with "openfirmware".
>
> This also implies I shouldn't add "openbios" separately, which was
> suggested earlier by Gerd -- according to
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBIOS>, OpenBIOS is another
> implementation of OFW.

Right.  Although I think OpenBIOS and SLOF support a disjoint set of
machines.  Openhackware which is (was?) used on some machines is yet
another (very partial) openfirmware implementation.

>  [...]
>
> Right, this is about interfaces, so I'll keep "uboot".

Ok.  More specifically I guess this is about firmware <-> guest OS, and
firmware <-> interactive user interfaces.  Firmware <-> qemu interfaces
(fw_cfg, device tree) are a different question.

--
David Gibson <dgibson at redhat.com>
Principal Software Engineer, Virtualization, Red Hat