[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [qemu RFC v2] qapi: add "firmware.json"

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Apr 23 00:10:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:34:57AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:11:08AM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> > > NB, qemu-system-s390x would previously have returned "other" in
> > > this field, and now it returns "s390".  So while it didn't
> > > remove "other" from the list of things that could potentially
> > > exist, it did change what the s390x binary will actually report.

> > > When I say removing "other", I imply that we add an explicit arch
> > > for all those which we currently are missing. IOW, all qemu-system-XXX
> > > binaries which currently report "other" would change to report their
> > > respective "XXX" values.
> > >
> > > So in this way, it is exactly the same as what we did when we
> > > introduced "s390" as an option.
> > >
> > > The only difference is that once we have every binary reporting the
> > > correct arch, we can now also remove "other" from the schema itself
> > > as it will then be unused.
> >
> > Can we please translate this into more actionable items for me, because
> > I'm getting confused :)
> >
> > First, if I add "i386" and "x86_64" to the enum list, we'll have all
> > three of "i386", "x86_64" and "x86". Is that useful? How will that work?
>
> Hmm, yes, on closer look this is a big mess as it is. We've been using
> generic terms for covering multiple architectures :-(  'x86' for both
> i386 and x86_64,  'sparc' for sparc and sparc64, etc. If we try to fix
> that we'll be entering a world of backcompat hurt :-(
>
> Since your schema is likely to end up just being a file in docs/specs,
> rather than directly part of our existnig qapi schema, I suggest we just
> ignore whats there. Just define an arch enum in your spec which is right,
> and let someone else worry about fixing the mess

Trouble is, for these "biarch" cases, I'm not sure it's always clear
what the right value for a firmware is.  While whether a userspace
binary is i386 or x86_64 is clear and well-defined, a firmware could
well be responsible for switching the CPU from its reset mode into the
more modern 64-bit mode, and would therefore have at least some code
in both archs.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson