[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [qemu RFC v2] qapi: add "firmware.json"

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 23 09:39:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:10:10AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:34:57AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> > > Can we please translate this into more actionable items for me, because
> > > I'm getting confused :)
> > >
> > > First, if I add "i386" and "x86_64" to the enum list, we'll have all
> > > three of "i386", "x86_64" and "x86". Is that useful? How will that work?
> >
> > Hmm, yes, on closer look this is a big mess as it is. We've been using
> > generic terms for covering multiple architectures :-(  'x86' for both
> > i386 and x86_64,  'sparc' for sparc and sparc64, etc. If we try to fix
> > that we'll be entering a world of backcompat hurt :-(
> >
> > Since your schema is likely to end up just being a file in docs/specs,
> > rather than directly part of our existnig qapi schema, I suggest we just
> > ignore whats there. Just define an arch enum in your spec which is right,
> > and let someone else worry about fixing the mess
>
> Trouble is, for these "biarch" cases, I'm not sure it's always clear
> what the right value for a firmware is.  While whether a userspace
> binary is i386 or x86_64 is clear and well-defined, a firmware could
> well be responsible for switching the CPU from its reset mode into the
> more modern 64-bit mode, and would therefore have at least some code
> in both archs.

In the context of these firmware metadata files, the architecture is
essentially the QEMU target binary architecture name, as it has an
associated list of machine types from that binary.

So 'i386' refers to qemu-system-i386, and the fact that qemu-system-x86_64
can run 'i386' is not applicable - you'd use the 'x86_64' firmware metadata
rules for that.