[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] clean/simple Q35 support in libvirt+QEMU for guest OSes that don't support virtio-1.0

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 14:18:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 02:44:40PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 09:54:55AM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:

> > > You can already get a transitional device on Q35, albeit with manual
> > > placement. Adding flags for magic placement for the existing devices
> > > is not something that is suitable for the XML. The ability to get
> > > legacy-only, or modern-only doesn't exist today in any way, so that
> > > would be a valid new feature.
> >
> > Transitional devices and modern-only devices are different kinds
> > of devices.  Making the guest see a different type of device
> > depending on where it's plugged is why we got into this mess, why
> > would we recommend applications to rely on this behavior?
> >
> > That's why I like your virtio-0.9/virtio-1.0 proposal.  I just
> > don't see why you think virtio-transitional should be out of it.
>
> An explicit virtio-transitional device is still two separate
> devices pretending to be the same thing, but magically changing
> their identity at runtime. We've already got that situation with
> existing device models, and I'm loathe to see us add 2nd device
> model with that same behaviour, just for sake of having a slightly
> different PCI bus placement strategy to support outdated guest OS.

Your seem to be describing what the current "virtio" device is:
it becomes a non-transitional (modern-only) Virtio device on some
cases, and becomes a transitional Virtio device on other cases.
It is two devices pretending to be the same thing.  That's
exactly what I would like applications to get rid of.

Now, the above is really not an accurate description of
transitional Virtio devices.  A transitional Virtio device is
something clearly specified in the Virtio spec, and it just means
a device that supports two types of drivers.  It's not different
from a x86_64 CPU that can run 32-bit OSes.

See:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/cs04/virtio-v1.0-cs04.html#x1-60001
http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/cs04/virtio-v1.0-cs04.html#x1-3090004

> > > Honestly though, the longer this discussion goes on, the more I think
> > > the answer is just "do nothing". All this time spent on discussion,
> > > and future time spent on implementing new logic in apps, is merely
> > > to support running RHEL-6 on Q35.  I think we should just say that
> > > RHEL-6 should use i440fx forever and be done with it.
> >
> > I'm not sure if you are saying that we (Red Hat) shouldn't spend
> > time implementing it, or that the libvirt upstream project should
> > reject the patches if somebody implements it.  I would understand
> > the former, but not the latter.
>
> Even if someone is willing to implement it in libvirt, we have to
> consider the cost of supporting it in both libvirt and applications
> using libvirt and the complexity it adds to our story about the
> docs / best practices for configuring guests.
>
> Even though I do kind of like the virtio-0.9/virtio-1.0 device model
> as concepts, I'm yet to be convinced that implementing them in libvirt
> and then also in all the downstream applications (oVirt, OpenStack,
> virt-manager, cockpit, etc) is actually worth the cost.
>
> There's little compelling reason to care about running outdated OS
> like RHEL-6 on Q35 in general. The motivation behind it is just
> coming from an artifically created problem downstream, by wishing
> to drop the i440fx machine at some still undeteremined point in the
> future. By the time that future comes, RHEL-6 may well even be
> end of life making the entire exercise a pointless.

I'm all for making a cost/benefit analysis, but I don't think you
are taking into account the costs of keeping the confusing
semantics of existing "virtio" devices.

If you still want to refuse to provide a sane way to configure
transitional Virtio devices, I really won't care.  But I believe
the interface you are trying to keep is actually the one you are
criticizing ("two separate devices pretending to be the same
thing, but magically changing their identity at runtime").

--
Eduardo