[libvirt] [RFC] kvm: x86: export vCPU halted state to sysfs

Luiz Capitulino lcapitulino at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 15:37:01 UTC 2018

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 13:47:27 +0000
Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 02:43:15PM +0100, Viktor Mihajlovski wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This would be a regression for people running QEMU 2.11 on s390.
> > >
> > > (But maybe it would be an acceptable regression?  Viktor, what do
> > > you think?  Are there production releases of management systems
> > > that already rely on vcpu.<n>.halted?)
> > >
> > Unfortunately, there's code out there looking at vcpu.<n>.halted. I've
> > informed the product team about the issue.
> >
> > If we drop/deprecate vcpu.<n>.halted from the domain statistics, this
> > should be done for all arches, if there's a replacement mechanism (i.e.
> > new VCPU states). As a stop-gap measure we can make the call
> > arch-dependent until the new stuff is in place.
>
> Yes, I think libvirt should just restrict this 'halted' feature reporting
> to s390 only, since the other archs have different semantics for this
> item, and the s390 semantics are the ones we want.

>From this whole discussion, there's only one thing that I still don't
understand (in a very honest way): what makes s390 halted semantics
different?

By quickly looking at the code, it seems to be very like the x86 one
when in kernel irqchip is not used: if a guest vCPU executes HLT, the
vCPU exits to userspace and qemu will put the vCPU thread to sleep.
This is the semantics I'd expect for HLT, and maybe for all archs.

What makes x86 different, is when the in kernel irqchip is used (which
should be the default with libvirt). In this case, the vCPU thread avoids
exiting to user-space. So, qemu doesn't know the vCPU halted.

That's only one of the reasons why query-cpus forces vCPUs to user-space.
But there are other reasons, and that's why even on s390 query-cpus
will also force vCPUs to user-space, which means s390 has the same perf
issue but maybe this hasn't been detected yet.

For the immediate term, I still think we should have a query-cpus
replacement that doesn't cause vCPUs to go to userspace. I'll work this
this week.

However, IMHO, what we really want is to add an API to the guest agent
to export the CPU online bit from the guest userspace sysfs. This will
give the ultimate semantics and move us away from this halted mess.