[libvirt] [RFC] libvirt hexagon sticker design

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 10:31:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 09:44:36AM +0100, Erik Skultety wrote:
> Hi folks,
> those who attended at least one conference for the past year have probably
> noticed the rising trend (more like "sticker hype") of FOSS projects giving away
> these hexagon stickers, it's very inexpensive way of making some promo for
> their project and since we don't do many promos (AFAIK none to be precise) I
> guess as a project that's been going strong for 12 years already we should
> probably start somewhere, even baby steps count (as it turns out in this case -

I've got a pile of a 100+ stickers for libvirt still that I've given away
at many confs :-)

> - literally...). So, I've taken our libvirt-publican repo and came up with a
> few various color combinations for libvirt hexagon sticker design. Below you
> can find links to my personal google drive (these are hexagon meshes, I can,
> or anyone can for that matter, isolate individual designs and send them as
> separate patches on demand), since each of the SVGs is over 1.5MB and I'd easily
> run into message size limits for the mailing list, had I gone with sending these
> as patches against libvirt-publican.

BTW I think the graphics in the libvirt-publican repo are the original
logo image. I created brand new SVG based art when i redid the website
last time. Aside from creating SVG format images, I fixed the totally
messed up depth perspective that the original had in the inner penguins.
The master files are all in docs/logos/  in the main GIT repo.

> [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xhn0GLvCKMcEOUnqn6boghaUOgjA8sOG
> [2] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b2MUyv0eo723F2rorWnmv1sTeCycUCN4

I think the second style works better, as having the 'VIRTUALIZATION API'
line there pushes the main logo off to the left hand side, making the
image unbalanced.

In the original stickers we had, which were round, we have the website
URL and "VIRTUALIZATION API" done above & below the image

    https://www.berrange.com/~dan/libvirt-sticker.jpg

Perhaps we could try and do the same layout but with the hexagon, as
that would get rid of the big white space above & below the main
graphic.

In terms of background & border, IMHO, it really should be the white
background - the logo doesn't stand out well when you have it on the
green background. Green background is ok for the wbsite banner as we
don't want the logo to be too distrating, but for a promotional sticker
having a prominent bold style is desirable.

I'm undecided whether having a green border or not is neccessary. If
we have the border, the logo has to be slightly smaller, to allow
it space it breathe within the border. Do you have any reference of
what other proojects have done wrt borders ?