[libvirt] [RFC] libvirt hexagon sticker design

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 10:48:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:36:03AM +0100, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 09:44:36AM +0100, Erik Skultety wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > those who attended at least one conference for the past year have probably
> > noticed the rising trend (more like "sticker hype") of FOSS projects giving away
> > these hexagon stickers, it's very inexpensive way of making some promo for
> > their project and since we don't do many promos (AFAIK none to be precise) I
> > guess as a project that's been going strong for 12 years already we should
> > probably start somewhere, even baby steps count (as it turns out in this case -
> > - literally...). So, I've taken our libvirt-publican repo and came up with a
> > few various color combinations for libvirt hexagon sticker design. Below you
> > can find links to my personal google drive (these are hexagon meshes, I can,
> > or anyone can for that matter, isolate individual designs and send them as
> > separate patches on demand), since each of the SVGs is over 1.5MB and I'd easily
> > run into message size limits for the mailing list, had I gone with sending these
> > as patches against libvirt-publican.
>
> Speaking of logos...at the risk of opening a huge bucket of paint:
>
> The current libvirt logo is bit non-intuitive.  Unless you squint at it
> to see what it might be about, you won't immediately get an idea what is
> trying to tell you.  Not sure if there's appetite to rework the logo
> itself.

I don't really want to go there - I really like our logo.

In general I don't think logos really need to explain what the project
is, largely because doing so is impossible/impractical for most technical
projects.

> Let me see if I can describe the image in words: "you're peeling off
> some layer and you see little penguins (VMs) get churned out".

You know it is basically a "sardine tin", but with penguins right ?

The tin is the computer, and the sardines (penguins) are the OS
that are crammed inside it. That's a pretty good analogy for VMs
IMHO.

> (But that's from my biased POV of already knowing what libvirt is.)
>
> For some inspiration, take a look at how the `curl` project went about
> redesigning its logo[1].
>
> [1] https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/05/27/a-new-curl-logo/

I don't think the new curl logo is any more "intuitive" in explaining
what the project is than their old logo. Unless you already know that
CURL is a library for downloading web content, the implications of the
"://" will pass right over your head. The new curl logo is certainly a
very nice improvement, but that's because the old one was really pretty
crude so anything would be better. I wouldn't say it is any more
intuitive though - just a nicer graphic design.