[libvirt] [RFC] libvirt hexagon sticker design

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 12:25:39 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:41:32PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 10:31 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>> > [1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xhn0GLvCKMcEOUnqn6boghaUOgjA8sOG
>> > [2] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b2MUyv0eo723F2rorWnmv1sTeCycUCN4
>>
>> I think the second style works better, as having the 'VIRTUALIZATION API'
>> line there pushes the main logo off to the left hand side, making the
>> image unbalanced.
>
>Agreed on the second style.

Definitely.

>> In the original stickers we had, which were round, we have the website
>> URL and "VIRTUALIZATION API" done above & below the image
>>
>>     https://www.berrange.com/~dan/libvirt-sticker.jpg
>>
>> Perhaps we could try and do the same layout but with the hexagon, as
>> that would get rid of the big white space above & below the main
>> graphic.
>
>I think trying to cram too much information inside a small
>exhagon is not going to look great. If you look at most other
>stickers, they don't include things such as the URL either.

Exactly.  And libvirt is not a word of many meanings.  Google "libvirt" and
there is no confusion what the sticker is supposed to represent.

>> In terms of background & border, IMHO, it really should be the white
>> background - the logo doesn't stand out well when you have it on the
>> green background. Green background is ok for the wbsite banner as we
>> don't want the logo to be too distrating, but for a promotional sticker
>> having a prominent bold style is desirable.
>
>Agreed. The lighter green background also mostly works, but only
>with the grey text variation of the logo.

I'd vote from second one from the top row.  Did you try making a circular (or
hexagonal) gradien tthat would start as white in the center and continued to the
outside where it would end up as a border of the same colour as the one I voted
for?  Might be very ugly, but also pretty nice, hard to say without any trying =)