[libvirt] with vhostuser I cannot use hugepages

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 09:26:51 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 07:53 PM, Adnan Mundres wrote:
> In my setup I am using qemu-kvm without openstack. I am trying to use ovs with dpdk. In my xml file I added following lines for the dpdkvhostuser
> <cpu mode='host-passthrough'>    <numa>      <cell id="0" cpus="0-6" memory="16777216" unit='KiB' memAccess="shared"/>    </numa> </cpu>  I have enabled hugepages during boot time> ot at mvmgptb11hyp01 hyp-1]# cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i
hugeAnonHugePages: 126976 kBHugePages_Total: 100HugePages_Free:
80HugePages_Rsvd: 0HugePages_Surp: 0Hugepagesize: 1048576 kB
> But When I start my vm (virsh start vm1.xml) I am seeing that this vm is not using memory from hugepages, rather it is taking memory from total memory. When I checked the log file I see that it is using
> -object memory-backend-file,id=ram-node0,prealloc=yes,mem-path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/ram,share=yes
> It should use backend memory as following
> -object memory-backend-file,id=ram-node0,prealloc=yes,mem-path=/dev/hugepages/libvirt/qemu/vm1,share=yes
> Any idea how can I use memory from hugepages

What version of libvirt are you using? There were some fixes made
recently. Try latest git HEAD and if the issue still persists please
file a bug report attaching domain XML and debug logs. I'm unable to
reproduce with the current git.

Michal