[libvirt] perl-Sys-Virt docs and linker options

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 10:32:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 12:05:27PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> The docs in libvirt-perl.git refer still to Makefile.PL.
>
> In the buildlog I noticed that somehow /usr/local is used, nothing uses the relevant flags from libvirt.pc:
>
> cc -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -fstack-protector -o blib/arch/auto/Sys/Virt/Virt.so lib/Sys/Virt.o -lvirt
>
> But even the patch below just appends -L %{_libdir} to that command. Any idea how to suppress
> -L/usr/local/lib64? It happens to work for me, likely because the toolchain has /usr/lib64 in
> a default path.

I expect /usr/local/lib64 is coming from Perl/Module::Buld itself.

Any -L/path  needed for libvirt would be reported by pkgconfig,
if it is needed.

When you install libvirt into /usr, pkgconfig will never output
-L/usr/lib64, because that's in the compilers default search
path. It'll only output a -L flag if installed somewhere
unusual

$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib64/pkgconfig pkg-config --libs libvirt
-lvirt
$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/libvirt/4.4.0/lib/pkgconfig pkg-config --libs libvirt
-L/opt/libvirt/4.4.0/lib -lvirt

So I'm not seeing anything that needs fixing here.