[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 25/26] block: Remove deprecated -drive option serial

Kevin Wolf kwolf at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 14:38:07 UTC 2018

Am 10.07.2018 um 16:22 hat Cornelia Huck geschrieben:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:59:15 +0200
> Markus Armbruster <armbru at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > In addition to actively pulling libvirt developers into review of
> > deprecation patches, we should pursue the idea to optionally let QEMU
> > fail on use of deprecated features, then have libvirt run its test suite
> > that way.
>
> What about the following:
>
> qemu_deprecated_option("old_option", "modern_option");
>
> Which would then print (in normal operation)
>
> "WARNING: 'old_option' is deprecated and will be removed; use 'modern_option' instead"
>
> to the monitor (or to stderr? to both?).
>
> If you start QEMU with a -no-deprecated-options switch, it would print
>
> "ERROR: 'old_option' is deprecated and will be removed; use 'modern_option' instead"
>
> and do an exit(1).
>
> Would that be workable?

I think the function should just take a message:

    /* Works like error_report(), except for the WARNING/ERROR prefix
     * and exit(1) if -no-deprecated-options is set */
    void deprecation_report(const char *fmt, ...);

We don't necessarily deprecate only options, but we might also deprecate
monitor commands, specific options values (while keeping other values of
the same option) etc.

Kevin