[libvirt] [jenkins-ci POC 2/2] guests: Add Dockerfile generator

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 10:40:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 10:12 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 08:53:44AM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > This is basically the exact same algorithm used by the
> > Ansible playbooks to process package mappings, implemented
> > as a standalone script.
> >
> > There's little to none error handling, and some information
> > is hardcoded instead of being configurable at runtime; more
> > importantly, before it can be considered for merging it
> > needs to be integrated into lcitool, which in turn requires
> > lcitool to be significantly reworked.
>
> I'm not understanding why it needs to be integrated into
> lcitool ?  Generating dockerfiles has no dependancy /
> interaction with ansible updating the jenkins slaves.

Strictly speaking there is no interaction; however, in order to
generate Dockerfiles you need to poke into the Ansible inventory,
so the two are not completely independent either.

To a degree it's similar to how installation and setup of guests,
while performed in isolation from each other and using completely
different tools, both require information stored in the Ansible
inventory and are exposed by lcitool as top-level actions with a
consistent interface.

Plus it's a good excuse to go back and make lcitool somewhat less
of a horrible hack ;)

> Why won't we just run this script separately when needed,
> ideally as non-root ?  Looks good enough to commit now
> IMHO

lcitool is already designed to run as non-root, so no need to
change anything there.