[libvirt] [RFC] proposal for libiscsi storage pool

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 08:57:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 09:31:09 +0100, Daniel Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 10:14:15AM +0200, Jiri Denemark wrote:

> > Thanks a lot for working on this, I'm looking forward to switching to
> > the new pool.

> > > This sounds reasonable. However, I think for backwards compatibility we
> > > need to treat <pool type="iscsi"/> as mode="host". That is, if we don't
> > > parse any @mode, we must assume "host" and then we can format it into
> > > the XML back.
> >
> > On the other hand, we could perhaps just introduce a new pool type,
> > something like
> >
> >     <pool type='iscsi-direct'>...</pool>
> >
> > which would match with VIR_STORAGE_POOL_ISCSI_DIRECT and avoid the black
> > magic of translating type="iscsi" to VIR_STORAGE_POOL_LIBISCSI or
> > VIR_STORAGE_POOL_ISCSI depending on the mode attribute. Not to mention
> > that old libvirt would just completely ignore the mode attribute, but it
> > would complain about unknown pool type.
>
> I think we need to consider the bigger picture too - the idea of using
> a userspace client vs kernel client applies to the RBD and GlusterFS
> pools too. I'm not really convinced that adding new pool types for
> each case makes sense.

For 'gluster' we have the native pool type which uses the userspace
client library  and also we support using 'glusterfs' through the
'netfs' driver which mounts it on the host [1].

The difference here is that with iscsi we have a separate driver now and
this would mean to have a different one, but it would not be much
different from the gluster/glusterfs [2] scenario.

[1] Glusterfs is a FUSE implementation, so it is technicaly userspace as
well ...

[2] glusterfs is generally the package name for the FUSE client