[libvirt] Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 14:44:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 05:40:52PM +0300, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>

> > What version of QEMU do you have installed ?  Libvirt has recently
> > become more aggressive at requiring modern QEMU versions, so its
> > possible if your old libvirt was running against old QEMU, that
> > might not be supported with new libvirt.
>
> I'm using QEMU 2.8 here.
> That might explain why libvirt cannot find a version that is modern enough.

2.8 is plenty new enough, so that's not the issue.

> In the meantime I tried to build an older version of libvirt: 4.0.0,
> to see if it would work,
> but i can't start the daemon:
>
> $ sudo ./libvirtd
> ./libvirtd: /var/ansible/usr/lib/libvirt-admin.so.0: version
> `LIBVIRT_ADMIN_PRIVATE_4.0.0' not found (required by ./libvirtd)
> ./libvirtd: /var/ansible/usr/lib/libvirt.so.0: version
> `LIBVIRT_PRIVATE_4.0.0' not found (required by ./libvirtd)
>
> What is it complaining about ?

The version you built libvirtd from is not the same as the
version that libvirt.so.0 is built from, so the latter is
missing symbols. If you've built & installed libvirt into
an unusual location, then you'd need LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
make sure the newly built libvirt.so.0 is picked up.