[libvirt] libvirt build failure with --disable-shared

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 12:30:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 12:24:41AM -0400, Rahul Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an error with libvirt build where it fails if I try to disable
> shared libraries. Though I opened up the issue on gitlab, not sure if that
> was the right place to open one. Kindly do let me know if this should be
> opened up at some other place.
>
> Build failure with libvirt-4.1.0 using the command:
> CFLAGS="-fPIC" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared
> --prefix=/home/ubuntu/libvirt-4.1.0/out
>
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/issues/1

As mentioned on the issue, building statically linked libvirt is not
something we support or test. If it has ever worked in the past it is
only be luck, not design.

Libvirt depends on a huge set of libraries most of which are not even
available as static builds in common distros. Those which do provide
static versions, often still need to dynmamically load modules eg
glibc loads NSS modules for domain/user/group name lookups. gnutls
loads modules for hardware token / crypto plugins.