[libvirt] libvirt build failure with --disable-shared

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Thu Mar 15 12:37:32 UTC 2018

Hello Rahul,

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 00:24 -0400, Rahul Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an error with libvirt build where it fails if I try to disable shared libraries. Though I opened up the
> issue on gitlab, not sure if that was the right place to open one. Kindly do let me know if this should be opened up
> at some other place.

No bug report on gitlab will ever be read, see yours in #1 ;) Read this page
for more infos on how to report a bug: https
://libvirt.org/bugs.html

> Build failure with libvirt-4.1.0 using the command:
> CFLAGS="-fPIC" ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --prefix=/home/ubuntu/libvirt-4.1.0/out
>
> https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/issues/1

Building only static libs looks fishy to me... what is the reason behing that?

virDomainLifecycleTypeToString is declared by the VIR_ENUM_DECL macro
and implemented by VIR_ENUM_IMPL one. The VIR_ENUM_IMPL for that type
can be found in both tools/virsh-domain.c and src/conf/domain_conf.c,
hence the error.

I'm not sure virsh should be built with static libvirt libs at all.

--
Cedric