[libvirt] [GSoC] Introduction - nodejs bindings

Ramy Elkest ramyelkest at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:41:59 UTC 2018

Hi all,

As a quick introduction, I'm Ramy Elkest, a student at Georgia Tech and
one of the lucky ones selected by libvirt for this year's Google Summer
of Code.

During the next months I'll be working with my mentors Martin Kletzander
and Erik Skultety to introduce nodejs to libvirt's family of bindings.

In short, the aim is to generate the nodejs bindings from the XMLs (as we
do for python).

On a very high level my current approach is as follows:
- Re-use libvirt-python's generator (mainly the parser) possibly re-written
    in node (TBD)
- Draw from existing projects (eg. node-libvirt) to generate preliminary
    templates

There are a few things to look into before jumping in:
- Code generation framework (or lack of)
- Node Abstractions for Node (NAN) vs. Node-API (N-API)

If you have preliminary thoughts / background info about any of the above,
I'd love to hear it. I'm usually around on irc, "relkest".

Ramy