[libvirt] unix_sock_dir for virtlogd

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon May 7 21:51:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 03:07:41AM +0300, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
>Hi,
>
>thanks for your reply Martin,

>> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 11:03:48PM +0300, Mathieu Tarral wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I'm trying to run libvirtd from git, and the daemon is starting now,
>>> but when i try to start a VM (using virt-manager) it complains that
>>> virtlogd socket is unreachable.
>>>
>>> The problem is that it tries to reach it at the following location:
>>>
>>> virNetSocketNewConnectUNIX:713 : Failed to connect socket to
>>> '/home/tarrma/usr/var/run/libvirt/virtlogd-sock': Connection refused
>>>
>>> however, i specified in my $HOME/usr/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
>>>
>> How did you came up with this path?
>>> unix_sock_dir = "/var/run/libvirt"
>>>
>>> Then why virt-manager is not using the socket from
>>> /var/run/libvirt/virtlogd.sock ??
>>>
>>> Any ideas, where i misconfigured my installation ?
>>>

>> What did you specify as a prefix when building from git?  Did you do
>> `./autogen.sh --system`?  Or used some custom prefix?
>
>I followed the instructions here:
>https://libvirt.org/compiling.html
>
>And as I didn't wanted to replace my Debian binaries, i opted for the
>$HOME/usr prefix:
>
>./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/usr
>make
>make install
>
>Now i edited $HOME/usr/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
>to set unix_sock_dir = "/var/run/libvirt"

Did you also edit $HOME/usr/etc/libvirt/virtlogd.conf?

>And running sudo ./usr/sbin/libvirtd creates the socket at the desired location.
>And so does sudo ./usr/sbin/virtlogd.
>
>But somehow, if i connect to qemu:///system with virt-manager, and attempt
>to start a VM, it complains that it cannot find virtlogd socket:

The problem is that virLogManagerDaemonPath() doesn't consider any configuration
file, so it will always try to connect to LOCALSTATEDIR "/run/libvirt/virtlogd-sock"

This could be fixed, at least partially.  Would you mind creating a bug in our
bugzilla so that we don't lose track of the issue?

Feel free to use:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Virtualization%20Tools&component=libvirt

Or even better, get your first contribution by fixing that ;)

Have a nice day,
Martin