[libvirt] Fwd: Abandoning php-virt-control project

Michal Novotny mignov at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:18:34 UTC 2018

>On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 11:05:13AM +0200, Michal Novotny wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>> thanks and I completely understand. I was funding the domain name from my
>> own resources for several years already. If somebody is interested in
>> taking over the domain it would be great however if nobody is interested
>> the domain will expire and cease to exist. As already said I'm willing to
>> prolong the domain by 1 years till June 27 2019 but it would be nice if
>> somebody can take over the domain ownership and the funding. As far as I
>> know the project php-virt-control.org is basically an alias for the same
>> server hosting libvirt.org so just the domain cease to exist but the git
>> will still be available at [1].
>
> Yes, that's correct the git will always be available there, and it also
> gets auto-mirrored to both github and gitlab, so essentially it will
> exist forever.

Ok, I'm glad to hear that :-)

>> Is it worth it prolonging the domain by 1 year as mentioned above or
should
>> I let the domain expire if nobody is interested in taking it over
>> considering  the fact it will still remain on the server?

> I'm terrible at making decisions like this - I still keep renewing domains
> for personal project's I've long since abandoned, because I hate the idea
> of domain squatters grabbing them and extorting money :-(
>
> Since I've not seen anyone actively sending patches for php-virt-control,
> I fear you're unlikely to see anyone volunteer to take the domain name.
> I guess you've got a month still you can wait though for anyone to take
> interest until you need to decide.

You are most likely right about that. Maybe it' s better to let the domain
expire in one month if nobody takes it over because the project will still
exist on the libvirt.org site. That said I won't prolong the domain name
anymore and I'll let it expire if nobody is interested in taking over the
domain.

Regards,
Michal

--