[libvirt] Why "integratorcp" as the default machine type for ARM / AArch64?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 10:23:18 UTC 2018

Hi

I see in the following change, Dan added the default machine types for
all architectures:

    https://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commitdiff;h=26cfb1a3
    ("qemu: ensure default machine types don't change if QEMU changes")

What caught my eye was the default machine type chosen ("integratorcp")
for ARM / AAarch64:

    +    [VIR_ARCH_ARMV7L] = "integratorcp",
    +    [VIR_ARCH_ARMV7B] = "integratorcp",
    +
    +    [VIR_ARCH_AARCH64] = "integratorcp",

I thought the default for AArch64 / ARM would be 'virt'---as I learnt
that upstream QEMU explicitly designed the 'virt' board for ARM /
AArch64-based machine machines (because it supports PCI, 'virtio', has
decent RAM limits, etc.)

So, shouldn't the default for the above be changed from "integratorcp"
to "virt"?

PS: I thought "integratorcp" board was picked as it was probably the
    first entry when you run `qemu-system-aarch64 -machine help`, but
    that wasn't the case on my Fedora-28 machine---it was the 12th
    entry.

--
/kashyap