[libvirt] question about syntax of storage volume <target> element

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 11:13:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 02:28:09PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 09/28/2018 12:54 AM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> > I've attempted to use virt-manager to create a new VM that uses a volume
> > from an rbd-based network pool, but have not been able to progress past
> > step 4/5 where VM storage is selected. It appears virt-manager has
> > problems properly detecting the volume as network-based storage, but
> > before investigating those further I have a question about the syntax of
> > the <target> element of a storage volume.
>
> Yeah virt-manager is known to be lacking WRT rbd. I did some work a few
> years back but didn't finish it. At least it doesn't know how to correctly
> use a volume with any auth data in the XML. I need to get another rbd setup
> to test with and fix it all

I was investigating the RBD support as well and in order to add proper
support for it into virt-manager we need to add support for secrets.
With secrets the issue is that they don't have any name, only UUID or
usage can be sensible ID from virt-manager POV and our current object
caching code expects name for objects and that's where I've stopped.

Pavel