[libvirt] [RFC 0/7] Warn at runtime when deprecated features are used

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 13:02:32 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 01:38:33PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> GTK+ does it, Qt does it; and I'm willing to bet there are more
> applications linking against either of them than there are linking
> against libvirt.

I don't think that's a positive example. As a developer who has
used GTK for multiple apps, I *hate* their frequent API deprecations
during minor updates. It is a constant battle to keep app code
compiling cleanly even within a single releae, no to mention the
even greater pain of trying to do GTK2 and GTK3 in parallel.

Sure, this deprecation and deletion of code benefits the GTK
maintainers, but the cost of creating ongoing pain for every
single application developer. That's not a net win IMHO as the
set of app developers is much larger.

As a counter point, Microsoft Windows never breaks its APIs and
that has many orders of magnitude more app developers than GTK/Qt

The fact that libvirt never breaks API is one of our greatest
selling points.