[libvirt] [ocaml] reset and resync the libvirt-ocaml repository

Pino Toscano ptoscano at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 15:13:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

for reasons mostly lost in the history, after the libvirt-ocaml
repository was converted to git, it was not used by its main author
(Rich Jones); the development continued on Rich's git, at
  http://git.annexia.org/?p=ocaml-libvirt.git;a=summary

After a talk with Rich, we agreed that it was better to move the
development back to libvirt.org, just like all the other bindings.
There are two problems however:

1) the first 38 commits have an bad author/committer date, and this is
   also the reason why the existing libvirt-ocaml is not mirrored on
   github

2) the top 3 commits on libvirt-ocaml were not integrated back to
   Rich's ocaml-libvirt, and maybe their content might not be totally
   OK (I will let Rich comment more on this)

While rewriting history is bad,
- most probably there are not many users of libvirt-ocaml around,
- the repository itself is very small (< 500k),
- in general it will better to have a working repository

So what I'm proposing is to replace the libvirt-ocaml repository with
a fixed version of Rich's ocaml-libvirt, and directly on the git hosting
side (i.e. not using force-push on the current one).  Rich has already
commit access for libvirt, so there are no problems to keep his
maintainer role on it.  Once done, we can notify users in this list
about it.

What do you think? Is it an acceptable path forward?

--
Pino Toscano