[libvirt] what determines the type of virtual NIC in libvirt (veth or tap)?

Frank Wang wangpeihuixyz at 126.com
Thu Sep 20 08:52:31 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I'd like to know what determines the type of virtual NIC in libvirt ? There was a problem I encountered, the vm can't get the mirror traffic while the virtual port in openvswitch is veth, If the virtual port is tun, the everything is fine.

[root at allinone-247 ~]# ethtool -i vn62f717800
driver: veth
version: 1.0
firmware-version:
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info:
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no

I uninstall the veth kernel module, then restart vm, then the vm can receive the mirror traffic

[root at allinone-247 ~]# ethtool -i vn62f717800
driver: tun
version: 1.6
firmware-version:
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: tap
supports-statistics: no
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no

so, I'm wondering if there are configuration options which can be configured to use which type of virtual NIC(tap or veth).

Any comments would be appreciate.