[libvirt] Plans for next release

John Ferlan jferlan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 23:05:42 UTC 2018

On 9/25/18 9:38 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 09:42:20AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> On 09/24/2018 03:42 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>>>   that's next week ! If we want to release around Oct 1st, I would
>>> suggest to enter freeze this Wed, probably in the morning europe time,
>>> then plan for an RC2 friday morning and if everything goes well, have
>>> the final release next monday.
>>>
>>>   I hope that works for everybody !
>>
>> Well, I introduced metadata locking in this release and as usual there
>> are some follow up patches waiting for review:
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2018-September/msg01134.html
>>
>> Also, Bjoern reported some issues with the feature (/me wonders if it's
>> s390 specific) and he said he'll debug this week. Anyway, those patches
>> and any patch that he'll write can be viewed as a bug fix and therefore
>> can be merged during freeze.
>
>   Okay, let's proceed as expected, on Friday we can assess if Monday is still
> right time for release, or if needed just postpone after Monday.

I've reviewed the patches Michal posted - so that part is a fait
accompli ;-)

IMO: Since usage of the metadata lock logic requires some amount of
setup (e.g. changing a qemu.conf value), it's easy enough to indicate
that the support isn't ready. In fact, in Michal's response to my review
for patch 22/23:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2018-September/msg00795.html

essentially indicates there's more to come in selinux.

So, I assume we can still call this "feature" as a work in progress.
Perhaps we need a new section in news.xml or some other means to
indicate we have "experimental code" with "limited support" (similar to
the QEMU development preview and/or the x- prefixed capabilities). IOW:
a buyer/user beware if you trip across this, then you are on your own -
until of course we fix all the "known" issues.

So in summary, I believe the issues raised thus far are primarily
metadata locking related, so should we really hold up the release for
something that isn't fully complete or listed in news.xml as a new feature?

John