[libvirt] Cleaning up libvirt.git tags

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 11:55:06 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 11:53 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:34:58PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > Interestingly[2] enough, a few releases seem to have partially or
> > completely slipped through the cracks:
> >
> >    version         commit   tag   tarball
> >   --------- -------------- ----- ---------
> >     v0.1.2 | 567b42ce6a07 |  no |      no
> >     v0.1.5 | 786e029cd743 |  no |     yes
> >     v0.4.0 | 6cb028991705 |  no |     yes
> >     v0.4.3 | 7db4c905d745 |  no |     yes
> >     v0.4.5 | 9d3d43436eac |  no |     yes
> >
> > Note that I stopped checking at v0.6.5, so there might actually be
> > more.
[...]
> > As for the missing release commits, I see no harm in creating them
> > retroactively for completeness' sake, but if nobody can be bothered
> > doing that I'll also fully understand :)
>
> We should create the missing ones. When we stopped using the
> LIBVIRT_X_Y_Z tag naming scheme, our intention was to create
> new vX.Y.Z tags to match all the original LIBVIRT_X_Y_Z tags
> that we had.

Perhaps I was not clear enough: for all releases in the table above,
there is neither a vX.Y.Z nor a LIBVIRT_X_Y_Z tag. So it looks like
the switch has been carried through as intended, it's just that some
releases were never tagged in the first place.

> > Thoughts?
>
> IMHO deleting "clutter" is a non-goal. GIT history should be append
> only, and never changed after the fact.

I obviously don't agree when it comes to this specific case :) But
noted.