[libvirt] [BUG] When PLUG a bridge interface to an active VM, the generated LIVE and CONFIG mac address are different

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 12:13:28 UTC 2019

On 8/22/19 10:43 AM, Xu Yandong (Yandong Xu) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When plug a bridge interface to an active VM with both LIVE AND CONFIG flags,
> libvirt generate different mac address to LIVE and CONFIG instance, so After
> I reboot the VM, DHCP server doesn't assign the same IP address to the new
> bridge interface.

This is kind of expected. In general, live and inactive XMLs can be
significantly different. And I guess it's out of libvirt's scope to try
and autofill missing data in such way that fits both libe and inactive
XMLs. For instance, a PCI address can be taken/free in live XML because
of hotplug/hotunplug but that might not be the case for inactive XML.
Should libvirt try and find a slot that suits both XMLs?

Michal