[libvirt] Xen + libvirt + TPM

Arthur Borsboom arthurborsboom at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 15:30:59 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am trying to get TPM 2.0 pass through to work with Xen and libvirt, but I
can't get it to work.
According to the following sites both Xen and libirt have TPM 2.0 support.

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Virtual_Trusted_Platform_Module_(vTPM)
https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsTpm

However, when I add a TPM device to a VM (by virt-manager), the VM guest
XML does contain the TPM configuration, but the VM guest (linux) does not
show any TPM device.
Also, when looking in /var/log/libvirt/libxl/vmguest.log there is no
mention of tpm in the (converted libvirt XML to libxl) vm structure.

Is this because libvirt only supports TPM with QEMU?
If so, are there any development plans for TPM support with XEN?
Is there a workaround for the time being?

Best regards,
Arthur Borsboom.