[libvirt] running Libvirt from source code, IPC_LOCK and VFIO

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb413 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:40:36 UTC 2019

Update: I've figured it out.

The bug here was that, even running as root, I was getting errors like:

error : virQEMUCapsNewForBinaryInternal:4687 : internal error: Failed to
probe QEMU binary with
QMP: libvirt:  error : prctl failed to enable 'dac_override' in the
AMBIENT set:
Operation not permitted

The reason is that the host has libcap-ng installed. ./configure uses it
if available,
setting WITH_CAPNG in the code. I am unsure if this has something to do with
the libcap-ng configuration in this system I'm using or if there is
something
missing in the Libvirt code, but the spawned QEMU process isn't
inheriting the
capabilities it should have.

Disabling support of this lib with "--with-capng=no" in autogen.sh and
rebuilding Libvirt fixed the problem. I was even able to see more NUMA
nodes than I was before using the system libvirt (which is the original
bug I am/was investigating).

Thanks!