[libvirt] domXML modeling question

Olaf Hering ohering at suse.com
Thu Feb 21 09:00:16 UTC 2019

Am Wed, 20 Feb 2019 17:20:39 -0700
schrieb Jim Fehlig <jfehlig at suse.com>:

> There have been a few requests [1][2] to support Xen's max_grant_frames setting
> in libvirt domXML, but I'm not quite sure how to model it.

Thanks.

The change must also consider the case of an incoming VM:
With Xen 4.9 and earlier the only way to bump the value for all newly started domUs is to boot Xen itself with gnttab_max_frames=N. If such domU is migrated to a newer Xen which already has the per-domU knob max_grant_frames=, the new domU container will use the (lower) default value of max_grant_frames= because the incoming JSON simply does not contain that knob. So far I have not found a good place to inject the values from "GNTTABOP_query_size" into the migration stream. If that stream is routed through libvirtd by any chance, perhaps the stream can be tweaked there.

Olaf