[libvirt] AMD SEV's /dev/sev permissions and probing QEMU for capabilities

Singh, Brijesh brijesh.singh at amd.com
Wed Jan 23 15:02:28 UTC 2019

On 1/23/19 7:36 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 02:33:01PM +0100, Erik Skultety wrote:

>>> That's separate form probing and just needs SELinux policy to define
>>> a new  sev_device_t type and grant svirt_t access to it.
>>
>> I know, I misread "we can solve this entirely in libvirt" then, I thought you
>> the SELinux part was included in the statement, my bad then. Still, back to the
>> original issue, we could technically do both, libvirt would have run qemu with
>> CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE and we keep working with everything's been released for
>> SEV in kernel/qemu and for everyone else, systemd might add 0644 for /dev/sev,
>> that way, everyone's happy, not that I'd be a fan of libvirt often having
>> to work around something because projects underneath wouldn't backport fixes to
>> all the distros we support, thus leaving the dirty work to us.
>
> Setting 0644 for /dev/sev looks unsafe to me unless someone can show
> where the permissions checks take place for the many ioctls that
> /dev/sev allows, such that only SEV_PDH_CERT_EXPORT or SEV_PLATFORM_STATUS
> is allowed when /dev/sev is opened by a user who doesn't have write
> permissions.

Agree its not safe to do 0644.

Currently, anyone who has access to /dev/sev (read or write) will be
able to execute SEV platform command. In other words there is no
permission check per command basis. I must admit that while developing
the driver I was under assumption that only root will ever access the
/dev/sev device hence overlooked it. But now knowing that others may
also need to access the /dev/sev, I can submit patch in kernel to do
per command access control.

Until then, can we follow Daniel's recommendation to elevate privilege
of the probing code?

-Brijesh