[libvirt] mdevctl: A shoestring mediated device management and persistence utility

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 09:31:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 6:04 PM Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I only added the part of the discussion below trying to figure out what
> > race you were seeing that was present only with my proposed changes.
> >
> > I (apparently incorrectly) supposed that you had some kind of mdev
> > management within the script in mind. Obviously I misinterpreted.
> > That will teach me to guess when I don’t understand instead of just
> > ask…
>
> The management mdevctl provides is persistence, interrogation, and
> interaction with mdevs and parent devices.  Like every other tool, I'm
> going to defer policy related decisions to someone else.  Picking a
> uuid is policy.  Picking a parent device is policy.

> > > Absolutely not, now you've required mdevctl to implement policy in mdev
> > > placement.
> >
> > No, I’m not requiring it. I’m leaving the door open if one day, say, we
> decide
> > to have libvirt tell us about the placement. That usage needs not go in
> right away,
> > I marked it as “(future)”.
> >
> > Basically, all I’m saying is that since it’s early, we can reorder the
> > arguments so that the one you are most likely to change when you reuse
> > the command are the one that are last on the command-line, so that it
> > makes editing or copy-pasting easier. There isn’t more to it, and that’s
> > why I still do not see any new race introduced by that change.
>
> This is just compounding a shortcut made for this initial version,
> clearly the solution is to allow arbitrary option ordering, not to pick
> a different ordering for a perceived copy/paste efficiency
>
> > >  mdevctl follows the unix standard, do one thing and do it
> > > well.  If someone wants to layer placement policy on top of mdevctl,
> > > great, but let's not impose that within mdevctl.
> >
> > I’m not imposing anything (I believe). I was only trying to guess
> > where you saw things going that would imply there was a race with
> > my proposal that was not there without :-)

> comes from)

> allocated
> I got”.
> > >
> > > I don't think we're aligned on what mdevctl is attempting to provide.
> > > Maybe you're describing a layer you'd like to see above mdevctl?
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > No, again, I’m just trying to understand where you see a race.
> >
> > Maybe instead of guessing, I should just ask: where is the race in
> > the two-args variant (assuming it prints the UUID it used) that does not
> > exist with the three-args variant?
>
> Currently users deterministically know the uuid of the mdev they
> create, they specify it.  They're not racing other users that
> potentially created the same type on the same parent to guess which
> mdev might be theirs, potentially picking the wrong one, potentially
> picking the same as their counterpart.  Returning the uuid solves this
> race, but as you noted, implies a much broader uuid allocation scheme
> and policy which I'm not interested in providing in mdevctl until you

There are multiples reasons why I'd prefer to pass UUIDs to mdevctl and not
ask it to provide them.
At least, sometimes, we don't want to have UUID4's for mdevs. Some other
times, we would just want to recreate some mdev with the exact same UUID
than a previous one.
So, yeah, having mdevctl asking for a UUID but also returning it would be
good for me.

-Sylvain