[libvirt] mdevctl: A shoestring mediated device management and persistence utility

Cornelia Huck cohuck at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 09:46:59 UTC 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 08:28:02 +0100
Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 04:12:10PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:48:11 +0200
> > Sylvain Bauza <sbauza at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks Cornelia, my thoughts:
> > >
> > > - Is it supposed to be responsible for managing *all* mdev devices in
> > > >

> > > The latter. If an operator (or some software) wants to create mdevs by not
> > > using mdevctl (and rather directly calling the sysfs), I think it's OK.
> > > That said, mdevs created by mdevctl would be supported by systemctl, while
> > > the others not but I think it's okay.
> >
> > I agree (sort of), and I'm hearing that we should drop any sort of
> > automatic persistence of mdevs created outside of mdevctl.  The problem
> > comes when we try to draw the line between unmanaged and manged
> > devices.  For instance, if we have a command to list mdevs it would
> > feel incomplete if it didn't list all mdevs both those managed by
> > mdevctl and those created elsewhere.  For managed devices, I expect
> > we'll also have commands that allow the mode of the device to be
> > switched between transient, saved, and persistent.  Should a user then

Hm, what's the difference between 'saved' and 'persistent'? That
'saved' devices are not necessarily present?

> > be allowed to promote an unmanaged device to one of these modes via the
> > same command?  Should they be allowed to stop an unmanaged device
> > through driverctl?  Through systemctl?  These all seem like reasonable
> > things to do, so what then is the difference between transient and
> > unmanaged mdev and is mdevctl therefore managing all mdevs, not just
> > those it has created?
>
> To my mind there shouldn't really need to be a difference between
> transient mdevs created by mdevctrl and mdevs created by an user
> directly using sysfs. Both are mdevs on the running system with
> no config file that you have to enumerate by looking at sysfs.
> This ties back to my belief that we shouldn't need to have any
> config on disk for a transient mdev, just discover them all
> dynamically when required.

So mdevctl can potentially interact with any mdev device on the system,
it just has to be instructed by a user or software to do so? I think we
can work with that.

> > > - Do we want mdevctl to manage config files for individual mdevs, or
> > > >

> > > Unless I misunderstand, I think mdevctl just helps to create mdevs for
> > > being used by guests created either by libvirt or QEMU or even others.
> > > How a guest would allocate a mdev (ie. saying "I'll use this specific mdev
> > > UUID") is IMHO not something for mdevctl.
> >
> > Right, mdevctl isn't concerned with how a specific mdev is used, but I
> > think what Connie is after is more the proposal from Daniel where
> > libvirt can essentially manage mdevctl config files itself and then
> > only invoke mdevctl for the dirty work of creating and deleting
> > devices.  In fact, assuming systemd, libvirt could avoid direct
> > interaction with mdevctl entirely, instead using systemctl device units
> > to start and stop the mdevs.  Maybe where that proposal takes a turn is
> > when we again consider non-systemd hosts, where maybe mdevctl needs to
> > write out an init script per mdev and libvirt injecting itself into
> > manipulation of the config files would either need to perform the same
> > or fall back to mdevctl.  Unfortunately there seems to be an ultimatum
> > to either condone external config file manipulation or expand the scope
> > of the project into becoming a library.
>
> Is mdevctl really tackling a problem that is complex enough that we
> will gain significantly by keeping the config files private and forcing
> use of a CLI or Library to access them ?  The amount of information
> that we need to store per mdev looks pretty small, with minimal
> compound structure. To me it feels like we can easily define a standard
> config format without suffering any serious long term pain, as the chances
> we'd need to radically change it look minimal.

We probably can get some consensus on a file format pretty quickly, I
guess; and I agree that there's probably not enough magic in there to
make future changes painful. So yes, let's try to agree on a format
that various entities can consume.

> > > - Should mdevctl be a stand-alone tool, provide library functions, or
> >
> > I don't think we want an mdevctld, if that's what you mean by internal
> > state not written to disk.  I think we ideally want all state in the
> > mdev config files or discerned through sysfs.  How we handle
> > non-systemd hosts may throw a wrench in that though since currently the
> > systemd integration relies on a template to support arbitrary mdevs and
> > I'm not sure how to replicate that in other init services.  If we need
> > to dynamically manage per mdev init files in addition to config files,
> > we're not so self contained.
>
> The most important part of the init script integration is just the bulk
> creation of mdevs on startup. I think this could be handled on non-systemd
> hosts via a fairly dumb init script that does this something approximating
> this:
>
>     for dev in `mdevctl list`
>     do
>         mdevctrl get-autostart $dev
> 	test $? = 0 && mdevctrl start $dev
>     done
>
> ie, iterate over all configs. If the config is marked to autostart,
> then start it.

How likely is a non-systemd system to not have udev? Can we rely on it
for dynamic management? (Any system will likely have _some_ kind of
uevent-consuming handlers, I guess, unless it is a very specialized
system where mdevctl is unlikely to be used at all.)

> > > FWIW, I'd love using mdevctl for OpenStack (Nova) just at least for
> > > creating persisted mdevs (ie. mdevs that would be recreated after rebooting
> > > using systemctl). That's the real use case I need.
> > > Whether libvirt would internally support mdevctl would be nice but that's
> > > not really something Nova needs, so I leave others providing their own
> > > thoughts.
> > >

> > > My personal opinion is that mdevctl should be able to tolerate mdevs

> > > need to do two things :
> > > 1/ create the mdev
> > > 2/ allocate this created dev to a specific guest config
> > >
> > > Of course, we could imagine a way to have both steps to be done directly by
> > > libvirt, but from my opinion, mdevctl is really helping 1/ and not 2/.

I don't think mdevctl should care about mdev-to-guest assignments; that
should be done by libvirt, OpenStack, whatever.

> > Yep, we also don't want to presume libvirt is the only consumer here.
> > mdevctl should also support other VM management tools, users who write
> > their own management scripts, and even non-VM related use cases.

> > Yes, regardless of whether others touch them, conversion scripts on
> > upgrade should be avoided.  Do we need something beyond a key=value
> > file?  So far we're only storing the mdev type and startup mode, but
> > vfio-ap clearly needs more, apparently key=value1,value2,... type
> > representation.  Still, I think I'd prefer simple over jumping to xml
> > or json or yaml.  Thanks,
>
> For libvirt our preference would be something we can easily support
> without having to write new parsers. I'm not going to suggest XML,
> but JSON is probably our highest preference. If not then a simple
> flat file with one line of   key="value"  per setting is something
> we already parse for /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf file. For slightly
> more structure the .ini style file is also good. That's basically
> just flat  key=value  pairs, but with [section] headers so you can
> represent some level of structured data.

It would be nice if a simple .ini style would cover all things, but I'm
not sure whether vfio-ap isn't already a bit awkward to support with
that. I don't mind JSON much, but would like to avoid XML :)