[libvirt] Time to drop support for Debian 8 (Jessie)?

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 15:50:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:39:37PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-03-28 at 15:03 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > >
> > > We've ever introduced support for unreleased operating systems in our
> > > CI environment[1], and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to start
> > > now... It seems to me like it would be pretty misleading.
> >
> > I think the fact that we've not done it in the past is a bug really,
> > not really a good thing.  Unless we have capacity problems, I don't
> > see a good reason to avoid it, given that we already run the more
> > flakey rawhide/sid distros.
>
> We only have Fedora Rawhide running on CentOS CI. And yes, capacity
> is an ongoing concern.

We're dropping 1 distro here, so we can replace it with another

> Note that I would not have a problem with adding a Debian sid or
> Debian testing configuration (but see capacity): what I'm against is
> specifically installing Debian testing and calling it "Debian 10",
> because that's just not correct.

Just because it is a pre-release doesn't make it not "Debian 10".
It just means it hasn't been declared fully stable yet, but that's
no worse than the unstable distros IMHO.

I don't see what useful benefit we gain from refusing to deploy
Buster to CI until it is declared GA.