[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] QMP; unsigned 64-bit ints; JSON standards compliance

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon May 13 12:08:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 02:44:07PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> writes:

> >> Ugly.  It's also what we did until v2.10, August 2017.  QMP's input
> >> direction still does it, for backward compatibility.

> >> Differently ugly.

> >> Yet another ugly.

> >> We might be able to do option 1 without capability negotiation.  v2.10's
> >> change from option 1 to what we have now produced zero complaints.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, we made that change for a reason, so we may want a
> >> "send large integers as negative integers" capability regardless.

> >> There's no such thing.  You mean "we maximize interoperability with
> >> common implementations of JSON".
> >
> > s/common/any/
>
> info: error correction applied, future applications will be silent ;-P
>
> >> Let's talk implementation for a bit.
> >>
> >> Encoding and decoding integers in funny ways should be fairly easy in
> >> the QObject visitors.  The generated QMP marshallers all use them.
> >> Trouble is a few commands still bypass the generated marshallers, and
> >> mess with the QObject themselves:
> >>
> >> * query-qmp-schema: minor hack explained in qmp_query_qmp_schema()'s
> >>   comment.  Should be harmless.
> >>
> >> * netdev_add: not QAPIfied.  Eric's patches to QAPIfy it got stuck
> >>   because they reject some abuses like passing numbers and bools as
> >>   strings.
> >>
> >> * device_add: not QAPIfied.  We're not sure QAPIfication is feasible.
> >>
> >> netdev_add and device_add both use qemu_opts_from_qdict().  Perhaps we
> >> could hack that to mirror what the QObject visitor do.
> >>
> >> Else, we might have to do it in the JSON parser.  Should be possible,
> >> but I'd rather not.

> >> QMP sending all integers in decimal is inconvenient for some values,
> >> such as addresses.  QMP sending all (large) integers in hexadecimal
> >> would be inconvenient for other values.
> >>
> >> Let's keep it simple & stupid.  If you want sophistication, JSON is the
> >> wrong choice.
> >>

> >> Option 1 feels simplest.
> >
> > But will still fail with any JSON impl that uses double precision floating
> > point for integers as it will loose precision.
> >
> >> Option 2 feels ugliest.  Less simple, more interoperable than option 1.
> >
> > If we assume any JSON impl can do 32-bit integers without loss of
> > precision, then I think we can say it is guaranteed portable, but
> > it is certainly horrible / ugly.
> >
> >> Option 3 is like option 2, just not quite as ugly.
> >
> > I think option 3 can be guaranteed to be loss-less with /any/ JSON impl
> > that exists, since you're delegating all string -> int conversion to
> > the application code taking the JSON parser/formatter out of the equation.
>
> Double-checking: do you propose to encode *all* numbers as strings, or
> just certain "problematic" numbers?
>
> If the latter, I guess your idea of "problematic" is "not representable
> exactly as double precision floating-point".

We have a few options

 1. Use string format for values > 2^53-1, int format below that
 2. Use string format for all fields which are 64-bit ints whether
    signed or unsigned
 3. Use string format for all fields which are integers, even 32-bit
    ones

I would probably suggest option 2. It would make the QEMU impl quite
easy IIUC, we we'd just change the QAPI visitor's impl for the int64
and uint64 fields to use string format (when the right capability is
negotiated by QMP).

I include 3 only for completeness - I don't think there's a hugely
compelling reason to mess with 32-bit ints.

Option 1 is the bare minimum needed to ensure precision, but to me
it feels a bit dirty to say a given field will have different encoding
depending on the value. If apps need to deal with string encoding, they
might as well just use it for all values in a given field.

> > I guess I'd have a preference for option 3 given that it has better
> > interoperability
>
> If we add a QMP capability for interoperability with JSON
> implementations that set limits on range and precision that are
> incompatible with the ones QMP sets, one could argue we effectively pay
> the price for option 3, so we should take it for its benefits.
>
> Option 1 without a QMP capability merely reverts the change we made in
> 2.10.  We can do that if we think it's sufficient.
>
> You expressed a strong preference for maximizing interoperability (via
> option 3).  Acknowledged.  However, I care a lot more about issues we
> know we have than about issues somebody might have.
>
> You mentioned the libvirt's switch to Jansson you had to abort due to
> QMP sending numbers Jansson refuses to parse.  That's the kind of
> non-hypothetical issue that can make me mess with the QMP language.
>
> You wrote Jansson "raises a fatal parse error for unsigned 64-bit values
> above 2^63-1".  Does that mean it rejects 9223372036854775808, but
> accepts 9223372036854775808.0 (with loss of precision)?

If it sees a '.' in the number, then it call strtod() and checks for
the overflow conditions.

If it doesn't see a '.' in the number then it calls strtoll and checks
for the overflow conditions.

So to answer you question, yes, it looks like it will reject
9223372036854775808 and accept 9223372036854775808.0 with loss of
precision.