[libvirt] (Dropping) OOM Handling in libvirt

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Mon May 13 14:12:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 15:28 +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 5/13/19 12:17 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > Assuming a decision to abort on OOM, libvirt can nwo follow QEMU's lead and
> > make use of the GLib library.
>
> No, please no. Firstly, glib is a new C dialect that only a few of us
> speak.

We all got used to libvirt's own interpretation of C, with all its
specific APIs and quirks, so I don't think doing the same for GLib
is at all beyond us.

> Secondly, glib adds some padding around its objects => libvirt's
> memory footprint will grow.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is only done for public structures that
might need to be extended in the future, which are an exception
rather than the norm.

> Thirdly, it's yet another library to link
> with (on my system libvirt links with 53 libraries already).

QEMU already links against GLib, so on basically all machine you'll
end up with the very same number of libraries loaded into memory.