[libvirt] s390: change default cpu model to host-model?

Christian Borntraeger borntraeger at de.ibm.com
Fri Nov 8 13:29:15 UTC 2019

On 08.11.19 14:10, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 01:56:47PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:

>>> Yes, I mean the migration should succeed from QEMU's POV and additionally
>>> the guest OS should not see any change in CPU ABI exposed from the host.
>>
>> The guest ABI is the same and migration also seems to work.
>> I think your concern boils down to the case that source and target
>> have a different libvirt version (but qemu and kernel and firmware
>> and hardware are identical). So for that case this change would break
>> things if host-model and host-passthrough are not identical.
>> So as of today we have no concern.
>>
>> Now: Would it be a concern if a future QEMU decides to change that
>> equivalence somehow?
>
> If they're the same guest ABI, then what's the benefit in changing the
> default to "host-model" instead of just continuing with "host-passthrough".
> It seems like we're fine to just carry on with "host-passthrough" as
> the default and insulate ourselves from any future risk of change.

The benefit is that that todays default is not migration safe and users will
find that out by random guest crashes if any of the parameters (CPU, kernel,
qemu, firmware) is different. So really, todays default is just completely
broken on s390 and thats why I want to change it.

host-model instead is expanded by libvirt and the migration will be rejected
if the target is incompatible (qemu will reject to run).

migh