[libvirt] [jenkins-ci] guests: Add support for openSUSE Leap 15.1

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Wed Nov 20 08:03:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 07:56 +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 12:01 AM Jim Fehlig <jfehlig at suse.com> wrote:
> > On 11/19/19 3:32 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > > As for os_version, if you look at all existing entries we use the
> > > major version number only: eg. we have CentOS7 instead of CentOS7.7
> > > and FreeBSD12 instead of FreeBSD12.1: this makes sense because, as
> > > the guest gets updated over time, it will naturally pick up the
> > > latest minor release. Will this work for openSUSE too?
> >
> > I suppose so. Although for example Leap 15.2 will have a different kernel (5.3.
> > vs 4.12), different install path
> > (http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.2/repo/oss/), etc. Is that okay?
>
> It depends a lot on what's the OpenSUSE policy of its distro. Once
> 15.2 is out, what happens to 15.1? Is this just a "minor" update? Will
> 15.1 still be supported or are people expected to just update /
> upgrade to 15.2?

Yeah, the changing kernel is not much of an issue (Fedora rawhide,
Debian sid and FreeBSD -CURRENT certainly fits into that category as
well :), it's more a question of whether, as Fabiano said, eg. 15.1
and 15.2 are considered two separate branches where each of them
continues to get significant development over time, or if (as is the
case for RHEL minor releases) once eg. 7.8 is out, people are mostly
expected to move off 7.7.

In the latter case, I would expect the transition to be mostly
smooth: running the daily update procedure on a 15.1 machine after
15.2 has been released would advance the OS to 15.2. That's not
necessarily a hard requirement either, however: for example, FreeBSD
doesn't work like that and requires an explicit upgrade step instead.