[libvirt] [RFC] Accepting PRs/MRs for libvirt on GitHub/GitLab

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 08:33:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 09:40:08AM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 17:03 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>> There's two tools being discussed here - both GitHub and GitLab.
>> Splitting attention between email and a web based tool is bad,
>> but splitting attention between email and two web based tools
>> is even worse.
>>
>> Finally I have general desire to *NOT* designate GitHub as an
>> official part of the libvirt workflow on the basis that it is
>> a closed source tool. Yes, we are already using it, but it is
>> largely an ancillary service working as a passive backup service
>> for our git repos, not a core part of our workflow. I don't want
>> to elevate it to be a core part.
>
>I understand why you feel this way and mostly share your opinion on
>the matter, but from a pragmatic standpoint if our goal is to get
>more people involved in libvirt's development then cutting off GitHub
>is almost certainly the wrong way to go about it.
>
>Just from the data we already have: GitHub, with the scary "don't
>send PRs our way" warning at the top of the page, still got 13 PRs;
>GitLab, which doesn't have the warning, got exactly zero so far.

Not that I crave being part of this discussion more deeply, but

  s/don't send PRs our way/please use gitlab for PRs/

could help.  Another thing we completely missed (which could also be more
effective) is to have a PR template [1] which would say "please open MRs on
gitlab instead (or "we don't do GitHub" for current state).  Another option is
to have a bot reply to open PRs with that message designated for the specific
user and then closing them right at the same time.

[1] https://help.github.com/en/articles/creating-a-pull-request-template-for-your-repository