[libvirt] Release of libvirt-5.8.0

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb413 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 18:22:12 UTC 2019

On 10/5/19 5:15 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>    So it's out, a bit late but better than never, without release notes
> but after all everything is described in the commits, so here is a very
> raw 5.8.0 release, it's tagged in git and signed sources and tarball
> are available at the usual place:
>
>    https://libvirt.org/sources/
>
> I also made python binding release that you can find at:
>
>    https://libvirt.org/sources/python
>

>   So the only thing listed in the release notes is
>
> Removed features:
>
> - Remove xenapi driver
>    The xenapi driver is removed since it has not received any significant
>    development since its initial contribution nine years ago and has no
>    known user base.
>
> Glancing at the commit list, there is a lot of refactoring going on
> which I assume don't have any visible user impact.
> I would suggest users look at the new development strategy document,
>    https://libvirt.org/strategy.html
>
> TBH since I started the project 14 or so years ago the core assumption
> have been kept, but this indicates willingness to change some of the
> directions by the current group of developers, one of the key point is
> articulated there:
>
>   "There is thus a desire to make use of either Rust or Go, or a
> combination of both, to incrementally replace existing use of C,
> and also for greenfield development."

Is there any finer grained plan to this transition other than what is
already
mentioned in the strategy page? The text makes me believe that the use
of Rust/Go will be decided in a case by case scenario, as if it's something
that is going to be considered for newer features from now on, but
it's not like we're in a deadline to fully transition the code either - more
like a long term direction. Is that a fair understanding?

Thanks,

DHB