[libvirt] Add support for vhost-user-scsi-pci/vhost-user-blk-pci

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Oct 14 17:49:20 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 3:12 AM, Li Feng wrote:
> Hi Cole & Michal,
>
> I'm sorry for my late response, I just end my journey today.
> Thank your response, your suggestion is very helpful to me.
>
> I have added Michal in this mail, Michal helps me review my initial patchset.
> (https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/libvir/msg191339.html)

Whoops I missed that posting, I didn't realize you had sent patches!

> All concern about this feature is the XML design.
> My original XML design exposes more details of Qemu.
>
>      <vhost-user-blk-pci type='unix'>
>          <source type='bind' path='/tmp/vhost-blk.sock'>
>              <reconnect enabled='yes' timeout='5' />
>          </source>
>          <queue num='4'/>
>      </vhost-user-blk-pci>
>
> As Cole's suggestion, the better design with all vhost-user-scsi/blk
> features would like this:
>
> vhost-user-blk:
>
> <disk type='vhostuser' device='disk'>
>     <source type='unix' path='/path/to/vhost-user-blk.sock' mode='client'>
>         <reconnect enabled='yes' timeout='5' />
>      </source>
>     <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
>     <queue num='4'/>
>      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
> </disk>
>
> vhost-user-scsi:
>
> <disk type='vhostuser' device='disk'>
>     <source type='unix' path='/path/to/vhost-user-scsi.sock' mode='client'>
>         <reconnect enabled='yes' timeout='5' />
>     </source>
>     <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
>     <queue num='4'/>
> </disk>

I think my SCSI idea is wrong, sorry. vhost-user-scsi is for passing a
scsi host adapter to the VM, correct? If so, then it's not really a
<disk>, and so using the existing vhost-scsi support in <hostdev> is
probably better. <hostdev> could possible be used for vhost-user-blk as well

Can you provide some examples of full qemu command lines using
vhost-user-blk and vhost-user-scsi? Just linking to examples else where
is fine, but I'm wondering if there's more context

Internally we already have an abstraction for vhost-scsi:

    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi_host'>
      <source protocol='vhost' wwpn='XXX'/>
    </hostdev>

The obvious extension would be

    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi_host'>
      <source protocol='vhostuser' type='unix'
path='/path/to/vhost-user-scsi.sock' mode='client'/>
    </hostdev>

Internally implementing this will be weird. The <source> parameters are
only dictated by the hostdev type= field, but in this case they would be
dictated by the <source protocol=> field, and we would want to reuse the
internal chardev abstraction.

vhost-user-blk could be implemented similarly, but with type='storage'
which is the way we pass through block devices to LXC guests, but it
isn't currently supported in the qemu driver.

I dunno. Maybe Michal or danpb can provide guidance

> Conclusion:
> 1. Add new type(vhostuser) for disk label;
> 2. Add queue sub-label for disk to support multiqueue(<queue
> num='4'/>) or reusing the driver label
> (<driver name='vhostuser' queues='4'), which one is better?
> Qemu support multiqueue like this:
> -device vhost-user-scsi-pci,id=scsi0,chardev=spdk_vhost_scsi0,num_queues=4
> -device vhost-user-blk-pci,chardev=spdk_vhost_blk0,num-queues=4

num-queues is already supported by libvirt for both <disk> and <hostdev>
need to add any new XML here.

> Another question:
> When qemu is connecting to a vhost-user-scsi controller[1],  there may
> exist multiple LUNs under one target,
> then one disklabel(<disk/>) will represent multiple SCSI LUNs,
> the 'dev' property(<target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>) will be ignored, right?
> In other words, for vhost-user-scsi disk, it more likes a controller,
> maybe the controller label is suitable.

Yes you are right, and this was my understanding. But then its not
really a <controller> in libvirt's sense because we can't attach
emulated devices to it, so it's more a fit for the existing <hostdev>
vhost-user support. Unfortunately it's not really a clean fit anywhere,
there will have to be some kind of compromise. And I'm not sure if
<disk> or <hostdev> is right for vhost-user-blk, but hopefully others
have more clear opinions.

Thanks,
Cole

- Cole