[libvirt] [RFC] Accepting PRs/MRs for libvirt on GitHub/GitLab

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 09:04:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 08:55:35AM +0200, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 07:57:46AM +0200, Peter Krempa wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > I wouldn't expect the changes to be trivial. Current stuff
> > > is trivial largely because we tell people not to open merge
> > > requests. If we adopt use of web based review, then expect
> >
> > I'd still want the message we'll put out to encourage them using e-mail.
> >
> > > people to submit non-trivial patches. I would do so myself
> > > for example. Thus I think we must make a clean switchover
> > > from email to a single web based tool.
> >
> > I disagree. There is nothing really appealing to me in any of the web
> > based frontends for git.
> >
> > The user interface of them is designed to be flashy but that really
> > hurts usability of git. We get cool icons but in return we must pay with
> > always-online connection, loading bars if you click anywhere and the
> > general necessity to interact with the browser which requires a lot of
> > mousing around.
> >
> > The commenting interface on individual patches is very poor given what
> > email allows you and in many cases it's hard to access older versions
> > after a pull-request is force-pushed.
>
> I believe that most of us agree on this point and if we have a tool that
> will bring the review process closer to the email workflow we can
> actually try using it.

Yes, the need for such a tool is the primary reason that I had not
made this explicit suggestion to change to web based review yet
for libvirt. I've been slowly trying to build something[1], but wanted
to have a tool that actually does something useful before announcing
it widely.

[1] https://gitlab.com/bichon-project/bichon  it doesn't do anything
    useful beyond displaying a list of PRs though, so don't get too
    excited.