[RFC] Adding docker driver to libvirt

nshirokovskiy nshirokovskiy at virtuozzo.com
Tue Apr 14 06:56:24 UTC 2020

On 12.04.2020 12:39, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 03:30:11PM +0300, nshirokovskiy wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Does it make sense to add such a driver? I can't say I have a big picture
>> of docker functionality in mind but at least container lifecycle management
>> and container networking are common to both.
>>

> I think we had something in virt-tools that was able to pull an image from
> docker hub and run it with lxc.  Or was it part of sandbox?  I don't know.
>
> Anyway, what would be the benefit of that?

We wanted to add Windows containers to the libvirt API. They are available
under docker API thus the idea to add a docker driver. The docker itself
uses some API to manage Windows containers but this API lacks documentation
thus again the willingness to use just docker API to bring Windows containers
to libvirt.

Nikolay