libvirt 6.6.0 tarball breaks on Homebrew/MacOS

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 19:41:21 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:25:19AM -0700, Scott Shambarger wrote:
> The latest release at https://libvirt.org/sources/libvirt-6.6.0.tar.xz
> includes a configure script that breaks Homebrew (and other builds on
> MacOS/Darwin).  The breaking change is related to a new version of the file
> m4/libtool.m4; line 2648 was changed to:
>
>   shrext_cmds='`test .$module = .yes && echo .bundle || echo .dylib`'
>
> However, src/driver.c loads modules with ".so" extensions, at line 56:
>
>     if (!(modfile = virFileFindResourceFull(name,
>                                             "libvirt_driver_",
>                                             ".so",
>
> The released tarball for 6.5.0 had the same shrext_cmds as upstream libtool:
>
>   shrext_cmds='`test .$module = .yes && echo .so || echo .dylib`'
>
> Not sure where to submit the issue (as the m4 files aren't in libvirt source
> control)... it appears to only affect the distribution tarball.

Probably a result of the dist tarball being created on a different host
distro than before.

> Perhaps the tarball could be re-released with autoconf from the official
> upstream libtool? (2.4.6)

FWIW, there is a much bigger change already in libvirt git master.

We have dropped autotools entirely in favour of meson+ninja as our
build system. This will be in the 6.7.0 release in just under 2
weeks time.

So I'd suggest you do the minimum possible to get 6.6.0 working on
homebrew, by just applying a local patch to the tarball for that
problem code, since this will be a one-off problem.

Keep your time free for debugging any issues that the meson conversion
might expose instead.