[ovirt-devel] Re: device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 09:28:38 UTC 2020

On 2020/8/19 下午4:13, Yan Zhao wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 03:39:50PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

>>> sorry, I don't understand here, why virtio devices need to use vfio interface?
>>
>> I don't see any reason that virtio devices can't be used by VFIO. Do you?
>>
>> Actually, virtio devices have been used by VFIO for many years:
>>
>> - passthrough a hardware virtio devices to userspace(VM) drivers
>> - using virtio PMD inside guest
>>
> So, what's different for it vs passing through a physical hardware via VFIO?

The difference is in the guest, the device could be either real hardware
or emulated ones.

> even though the features are negotiated dynamically, could you explain
> why it would cause software_version not work?

Virtio device 1 supports feature A, B, C
Virtio device 2 supports feature B, C, D

So you can't migrate a guest from device 1 to device 2. And it's
impossible to model the features with versions.

>>> I think this thread is discussing about vfio related devices.

>>> for device_api of vfio-pci, why it's not true?
>>>
>>> for vfio-ccw, it's subchannel_type.
>>
>> Ok but having two different attributes for the same file is not good idea.
>> How mgmt know there will be a 3rd type?
> that's why some attributes need to be common. e.g.
> device_api: it's common because mgmt need to know it's a pci device or a
>              ccw device. and the api type is already defined vfio.h.
> 	    (The field is agreed by and actually suggested by Alex in previous mail)
> type: mdev_type for mdev. if mgmt does not understand it, it would not
>        be able to create one compatible mdev device.
> software_version: mgmt can compare the major and minor if it understands
>        this fields.

I think it would be helpful if you can describe how mgmt is expected to
work step by step with the proposed sysfs API. This can help people to
understand.

Thanks for the patience. Since sysfs is uABI, when accepted, we need
support it forever. That's why we need to be careful.

>>> it's vendor driver specific.
>>> vendor specific attributes are inevitable, and that's why we are
>>> discussing here of a way to standardizing of it.
>>
>> Well, then you will end up with a very long list to discuss. E.g for
>> networking devices, you will have "mac", "v(x)lan" and a lot of other.
>>
>> Note that "remote_url" is not vendor specific but NVME (class/subsystem)
>> specific.
>>
> yes, it's just NVMe specific. I added it as an example to show what is
> vendor specific.
> if one attribute is vendor specific across all vendors, then it's not vendor specific,
> it's already common attribute, right?

It's common but the issue is about naming and mgmt overhead. Unless you
have a unified API per class (NVME, ethernet, etc), you can't prevent
vendor from using another name instead of "remote_url".

>> The point is that if vendor/class specific part is unavoidable, why not
>> making all of the attributes vendor specific?
>>
> some parts need to be common, as I listed above.

This is hard, unless VFIO knows the type of device (e.g it's a NVME or
networking device).

>>> our goal is that mgmt can use it without understanding the meaning of vendor
>>> specific attributes.
>>
>> I'm not sure this is the correct design of uAPI. Is there something similar
>> in the existing uAPIs?
>>
>> And it might be hard to work for virtio devices.

>>> no. just attributes under migration directory.

>>> sorry, I just know we are in the process of standardizing of it :)
>>
>> It's not easy. As I said, the current design can't work for virtio devices
>> and it's not hard to find other examples. I remember some Intel devices have
>> bitmask based capability registers.
>>
> some Intel devices have bitmask based capability registers.
> so what?

You should at least make the proposed API working for your(Intel) own
devices.

> we have defined pci_id to identify the devices.
> even two different devices have equal PCI IDs, we still allow them to
> add vendor specific fields. e.g.
> for QAT, they can add alg_set to identify hardware supported algorithms.

Well, the point is to make sure the API not work only for some specific
devices. If we agree with this, we need try to seek what is missed instead.

>>> what is existing management API?
>>
>> It depends on the type of devices. E.g for NVME, we've already had one
>> (/sys/kernel/config/nvme)?
>>
> if the device is binding to vfio or vfio-mdev, I believe this interface
> is not there.

So you want to duplicate some APIs with existing NVME ones?

Thanks