Conflicting parameters on qemu call

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 08:38:58 UTC 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 08:11:30PM +0200, Jan Walzer wrote:
> Hi Lists,
>
> I currently have the issue of wanting to use emu-system-x86_64 on a ppc64le platform.
>
> It is imperative to pass the "-accel tcg,thread=multi” parameter to qemu
> when starting an instance, as without that, it will only use one thread
> and hence of limited/no use.
>
> The problem is, that libvirt itself, passes “-machine q35,accel=tcg” to
> qemu, which is a different parameter, that conflicts with the other one.
>
> Can we discuss, if I either have overlooked something, or is there a workaround, or is this a bug?

What you're trying todo is intentionally not available.

The memory ordering constraints needed for running x86_64 guests on ppc64
hosts cannot be satisfied, so multi-threaded TCG is not available.

For any guest/host combination where multi-thread TCG is safe to use, QEMU
will enable it automatically, so nothing is required in libvirt.