[RFCv2 01/46] scripts: Add a tool to generate xml parse/format functions

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 17:22:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 11:34:53AM +0800, Shi Lei wrote:
> This tool is used to generate parsexml/formatbuf functions.
> It is based on libclang and its python-binding.
> Some directives (such as genparse, xmlattr, etc.) need to be added on
> the declarations of structs to direct the tool.

In testing this I hit one problem with use of libclang python binding.

In RHEL-7, we have clang 3.4.1 via EPEL repos, and that only has a
python 2 binding available, no python 3 binding.

IOW, if we take te xml generator, we loose support for building on
RHEL-7 as we consume it today.

I see a few options

 1 Wait until April 2021 to merge this series, because our
   platform matrix lets us drop RHEL-7 support in April.

    https://libvirt.org/platforms.html

 2 Enable use of software collections in our RHEL-7 CI
   container images and pull clang 7 from there

    https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/llvm-toolset-7.0/

 3 Merge this feature now, commit the generated files to git and
   only run the generator manually when we need changes. Once
   we drop RHEL7 we can delete the generated files from git.

 4 Drop RHEL-7 immediately in violation of our platform support
   matrix. I know of people, however, who still rely on being
   able to build new libvirt on RHEL-7 this would harm.

My feeling is to go for option (3) and temporarily commit
the generated files to git, as it will only need to be a short
term hack for 4-5 months.